Magic File Renamer - Tips and Hints
- You can start Magic File Renamer in a custom directory by running it with
this directory as a parameter, e.g. "MFR c:\my-folder" (or dragging
a directory to Magic File Renamer's icon).
- All of the "Add to Rename List" operations will add only files matching the
the wildcards filter.
- To add a single directory name to Rename List, check "Process Directory
Names", uncheck "Recursive Add Directory" in the "Options" tab, and
drag a directory from File List to Rename List.
- To show (and add) only directories to Rename List, define the wildcards filter
as "." [period].
- Only when "Show Hidden Files" is checked, hidden and system files will
be added to Rename List.
- You can change filters processing order by pressing the "Edit" button in the toolbar.
- File List is functioning like an Explorer window. You can manually rename a file in
File List by pressing F2 on it, execute it by double-clicking, etc..
- Remove a single file from Rename List by double-clicking on it.
- To add a prefix/suffix to filename, use the formatter and define a
format string like "prefix" or "suffix" (when prefix/suffix is the string
you want to add).
- Before numbering files using the formatter, you can sort them manually
by unchecking "Auto Sort Rename List" in the "Options" tab. Now use the arrows
left to the Rename List or drag & drop files in Rename List to swap their positions.
- Real-time preview can slow things down when working with
a large Rename List. You can disable it from the "View" menu, or by clicking on the preview column
header at Rename List.
- You can drag a file from File List and drop it on one of the edit-boxs (for example,
on the format string). This will copy the file name into the edit box.
- You can drag a file from File List and drop it at the attributes panel or the date/time panel.
This will copy the file's date/attributes into the matching panel.
- Get used to look at the 'Used filtes list' at the right corner of the status bar before pressing
the GO button to make sure no filter is enabled by mistake.
- Undo feature is one-level only (will undo only the last renaming operation).
If you want to undo pasr operations, use the "View Log" feature.
- Undo will recover also file's dates & attributes. This version does not undo
changed ID3 tags of MP3 files.
- Have a large collection of files, arranged in sub-directories? Use the
Formatter with "<P><SN>" as format string to rename the files according to the
- Learn how to use Regular Expressions in the replacer. It worth the time and can do many things.
- You can use both Regular Expressions and Formatting Parameters in the Replace List. See the sample file replace.txt for details.
- Had a nice time with this program? Don't forget to register!